Who We Are
In Massachusetts, public funding for the arts, humanities and interpretative sciences is provided through a central agency, Mass Cultural Council, and a network of local cultural councils that serve every city and town in the state. The Northborough Cultural Council is one of these local entities.
About Mass Cultural Council
The Mass Cultural Council is funded by appropriations from the state legislature and from the National Endowment for the Arts.
The mission of Mass Cultural Council and its local cultural council partners is to promote excellence, access, education, and diversity in the arts, humanities, and interpretative sciences, in order to improve the quality of life for all Massachusetts residents and to contribute to the economic vitality of our communities.
About the Local Cultural Councils
Mass Cultural Council distributes funds to local and regional cultural councils, which then grant the funds to art, humanities, and interpretative science projects in their own communities. There are currently 329 local and regional councils that represent 351 cities and towns in the Commonwealth. This extensive grassroots system of public support for community cultural programs is unmatched anywhere in the United States.
by the Mass Cultural Council, the Northborough Cultural Council
- Reviews grant applications from individuals, schools, art organizations, and not-for-profits, and awards MCC grant funds to projects that provide a local public benefit.
- Establishes funding priorities that aim to bring community-oriented arts, music, humanities, and science projects to Northborough.
- Enriches our community by identifying and serving our local cultural interests through surveys.
- Forges partnerships that create and expand opportunities for the arts.
- Cultivates new resources needed to promote the arts in Northborough.
- Works toward establishing arts as basic to education and lifelong learning.
- Uses the arts as a catalyst for understanding among cultures.
- Advocates for increased awareness and access to the arts.
2019 Board Members
Local Cultural Councils are made up of volunteers who are appointed by their community’s chief elected officials.
Chairperson: Selvi Oyola
Treasurer: Craig Cox
Secretary: Bich-Ngan Nguyen
Member: Suzanne Cox
Member: Heidi Knight
Member: Lesley Shore
Member: Steve Smith
Member: Lori Tiron-Pandit
2019 Funded Programs
Charles River Sinfonietta: Applefest Concert in September 2019
Northborough Historical Society: A Visit with Louisa May Alcott
John Root: Songbirds of the Northeast
Assabet Valley Mastersingers: 2018/19 Concert Season
Lisa Hayden: Abstracted Massachusetts – A Painted Journey
Northborough Community Affairs: Northborough Summer Concert Series
Stephen Lewis: Ban the Bomb – An International Poster Exhibit
John Root: A Celebration of Song
Francis Hart: A Cultural and Historical Reflection of the 1960s
Peaslee Elementary School: 5th Graders Study Monet
Northborough Free Library: Spring 2019 Music Series
Interboro Community Band: ICB ARHS Winter Concert
Worcester Natural History Society: EcoTarium Town Days
Northborough Area Community Chorus: NACC 2018 Holiday and 2019 Spring Concerts
Chamber Music MetroWest: The Toy Box/The Beat of a Different Drum
Catherine Weber: Art on the Trails 2019
Audio Journal: Cultural Access for the Visually Impaired
Leslie Havens: Concert by Solstice Sackbuts
AmudhaSri Dance School: Nava Shakti Dance Production
Jim Manning: A Ballooniverse of Stories
St. Bernadette School: Alastair Moock – Learning History Through Music